SHARE


The summer transfer window is approaching, and there’s plenty of gossip swirling about who’s moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings and goings and, of course, done deals!

TOP STORY: PSG’s Paredes part of Juve rebuild?

Juventus are set to continue their rebuild in the summer with Paris Saint-Germain star Leandro Paredes a target for the Bianconeri, according to Calciomercato.

2 Related

The Serie A side have been looking to evolve their squad since parting ways with Cristiano Ronaldo last season, with Massimiliano Allegri looking to prioritise a midfield revamp when the season concludes.

It is reported that Paredes, 27, could be allowed to leave PSG after making just 10 starts in Ligue 1 this season, with his last appearance coming on March 3 against Lorient.

Once Juventus have decided on the players who they will be offloading, the club will then make an approach to see whether they can bring Paredes to the Allianz Stadium.

Juve captain Giorgio Chiellini has already confirmed he’ll leave the club in the summer and striker Paulo Dybala is likely to depart on a free transfer at season’s end as well.

Having won the Serie A title nine times between 2012 and 2020, Juventus are now set to miss out on the Scudetto for the second year in a row.

ESPN+ guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (U.S.)
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (U.S. only)
– Don’t have ESPN? Get instant access

LIVE BLOG

16.04 BST: Liverpool defender Neco Williams could have his loan move turned permanent by Fulham, says Football Insider.

Williams, 21, spent time on loan at Fulham this season as the club gained promotion back to the Premier League.

The Wales right-back wants to play regular first-team football and is willing to leave Anfield to get it this summer, with Fulham keen to keep him permanently.

15.27 BST: Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski has informed the club that he wants to leave and not extend his contract, Bayern sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic said on Saturday.

Speaking ahead of Bayern’s final game of the Bundesliga season at VfL Wolfsburg, Salihamidzic confirmed widespread reports that the Bundesliga’s second-highest all-time scorer wants to depart despite having a contract until 2023.

“I spoke with Lewa. In that discussion he informed me that he does not want to accept our offer to extend the contract and that he would like to leave the club,” Salihamidzic told Sky Germany. “He said he wants to do something else. But our position has not changed. The fact is he has a contract to June 30, 2023.”

The 33-year-old joined in 2014 from Borussia Dortmund on a free transfer and has won the Bundesliga title every year since then, as well as the Champions League once.

15.12 BST: What made Erling Haaland pick Man City as his next club?

play

1:14

Mark Ogden explains how Manchester City won the race for Erling Haaland.

14.45 BST: Barcelona coach Xavi Hernandez has said that the club’s financial situation could dictate the future of midfielder Frenkie de Jong — while saying that Robert Lewandowski’s age wouldn’t count against him as a possible summer signing.

With two games left to play in LaLiga — starting with Sunday’s trip to Getafe — Barca are already assured of a top-four finish, and looking ahead to next season after a trophy-less campaign.

ESPN reported this week that De Jong, 25, would prefer to stay at Camp Nou amid interest from Manchester United — while Lewandowski, 33, has been heavily linked as a potential target with just a year left on his contract at Bayern Munich.

“For me [De Jong] is a very important player,” Xavi told a news conference on Saturday. “He’s almost always been a starter, except when I’ve rotated [the team]. He is a fundamental player, but then there is the financial situation of the club.

“Not just with Frenkie, I mean in general. He’s a player I like a lot, but we’ll see how the situation is.”

14.10 BST: Arsenal are closing in on a €3.5m deal with Sao Paulo for teenage striker Marquinhos, sources have told ESPN.

The two clubs agreed a fee after the 19-year-old rejected multiple contract offers from the Brazilian club and sources suggest Arsenal moved quickly to secure a cut-price agreement.

Marquinhos is a left-footed forward also able to operate as a winger but he is viewed by Arsenal as a future prospect rather than an immediate first-team signing.

Personal terms are yet to be finalised but an agreement is expected soon.

13.24 BST: Real Madrid youngster Sergio Arribas has attracted interest from Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium as well as Spanish clubs for a possible loan move, according to Diario AS.

Arribas, 20, broke into the Real Madrid first team last season under then coach Zinedine Zidane, making eight substitute appearances in LaLiga.

He has not been called upon by Carlo Ancelotti this campaign, starring instead for B-team Castilla and scoring 14 league goals.

AS reports that Borussia Dortmund are one of the clubs interested in Arribas, having previously taken Achraf Hakimi and Reinier Jesus on loan from Madrid.

12.50 BST: Eden Hazard will stay at Real Madrid next season, manager Carlo Ancelotti has said, with the forward determined to “show his quality” after three injury-hit years at the Bernabeu.

Hazard, 31, was a bystander as Madrid lifted the LaLiga title last month — having undergone an operation in March to remove a plate in his right leg — but is back in the squad for Sunday’s game at Cadiz.

“His plan is quite clear. He stays,” Ancelotti told a prematch news conference on Saturday. “He has a lot of motivation because he hasn’t had a good time these last few years and he wants to show all of his quality, which for many reasons he hasn’t been able to do.”

Hazard signed from Chelsea for €100 million in 2019 as one of the Premier League’s outstanding players, but a series of ankle and related muscular issues have seen him unable to make an impact in Spain.

He has made 17 appearances in LaLiga this season, 10 of them off the bench, without scoring any goals, after Vinicius Junior established himself as Ancelotti’s first choice left winger.

12.22 BST: Bayern Munich forward Robert Lewandowski will start in Saturday’s Bundesliga finale at Wolfsburg, coach Julian Nagelsmann said on Friday, but his future at the German champions remains unclear.

The Bundesliga’s top scorer has a contract to 2023 but German media reported this week the Pole was unwilling to extend his deal, making a move away from the club in the close season more likely in order for Bayern to cash in on a transfer fee.

Contract extension talks have started only recently but have yet to deliver any results with Lewandowski reportedly unhappy with Bayern’s approach to the discussions.

A crowd favourite, the 33-year-old striker is on track to become the league’s top scorer for the fourth straight time and sixth overall, having netted 34 times this season in the Bundesliga. He is also second on the all-time scorers list in the German top division.

“Robert has trained really well in the past two days and he also scored some good goals in training,” Nagelsmann told a virtual news conference. “He will be starting tomorrow. As for the future the position of the club is known, my position is known and the contract situation with June 31, 2023 is also known.

“I will not be commenting on anything else regarding this. You can contact club officials… or for anything else ask Robert.”

12.05 BST: Leeds are in trouble and it could get worse this weekend.

play

1:44

Gab and Juls discuss what the future could hold for Jesse Marsch if Leeds get relegated from the Premier League.

11.17 BST: Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said he had turned down Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich “a few times” to stay at Anfield and urged his side to “enjoy the journey” as they keep up their quadruple chase against Chelsea in the FA Cup final on Saturday.

Liverpool won the League Cup in February. They trail Premier League leaders Manchester City by three points with two games to go, and they will face Real Madrid in the Champions League final in a fortnight.

Asked about the challenges the side face, Klopp told reporters at Liverpool’s training ground on Friday: “Which club should I go to, to have a different situation? I could have gone to Bayern a few times, I could have won more titles in my life, pretty sure I would say — I didn’t do it.”

“I had a contract here… and that’s completely fine. The world is not full of winners, the world is full of triers hopefully. And I try and sometimes I win with some other people together. I am happy with that.”

10.34 BST: ICYMI – Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel has said Romelu Lukaku‘s agent publicly discussing the striker’s future is “not the situation you want” on the eve of an FA Cup final against Liverpool on Saturday.

Lukaku has endured a disappointing season at Stamford Bridge having rejoined the club from Inter Milan for a club record €115m last summer, scoring 15 goals in 42 appearances.

The 28-year-old has previously suggested he would be open to a return to Italy and his agent Federico Pastorello fuelled further speculation on Friday in an interview with La Repubblica in which he confirmed plans to hold talks with the club’s prospective new owners — a consortium led by Los Angeles Dodgers part-owner Todd Boehly — at the end of the season.

“We cannot think about negotiations,” Pastorello said. “Chelsea are in takeover discussions, we do not know the new owners, let alone if we can open talks with Inter or AC Milan. We have to wait.”

When Pastorello’s comments were put to Tuchel in a news conference on Friday, he replied: “I just was aware about it five or 10 minutes ago actually. That’s what it is sometimes in football. The tension is so high that sometimes it attracts situations that you don’t want to have before big matches but that’s the way it is. For me it is not a distraction and hopefully for everybody who works with the team and the team itself also.

“If he plans to talk to the owner, maybe it is his plan not to talk with me. Fair enough, let’s see if he gets a meeting and can get to talk. It is his right. We will talk to anybody and evaluate any situation of any player including Romelu’s and then we will see what’s going to happen and what the plans are.”

In an Instagram post later on Friday, Lukaku said: “Never ever will I let someone speak for me…I kept my mouth shut and focused on helping the team and end the season in the best way as possible. So if someone out there trying to say something about me and the club…Not in my name. RL.”

09.52 BST: Arsenal and Tottenham are battling for fourth spot but they are also battling to sign Carlos Alcaraz (not the Spanish tennis player) from Racing Club, says the Daily Express.

Alcaraz, 19, has a reported €25m release clause and is set to leave the Argentine side in the coming months. The Argentine has been compared in style to Inter Milan star Lautaro Martinez, but would come significantly cheaper and plays deeper in midfield.

Sevilla, Atletico Madrid, Inter and AC Milan also keen on Alcaraz.

09.21 BST: Chelsea are set to sign Inter Milan winger Ivan Perisic on a free transfer this summer, according to Sportsmediaset.

Perisic, 33, has scored nine goals and created eight for Simone Inzaghi’s side this term but has not managed to agree terms on a new contract.

The Croatia international will be allowed to move on and a deal with Chelsea will be completed once Todd Boehly, part-owner of the LA Dodgers, finalises a takeover of the club. Chelsea are currently restricted in signing players or even offering contract extensions due to the U.K. government’s sanctions imposed on owner Roman Abramovich due to his ties with Russia president Vladimir Putin.

09.00 BST: Manchester United are close to adding Steve McClaren to Erik ten Hag‘s new-look coaching staff, sources have told ESPN.

United have already agreed a deal for Ajax assistant Mitchell van der Gaag to follow Ten Hag to Old Trafford and sources have told ESPN that McClaren will also be joining the Dutchman’s backroom staff.

The pair worked together when McClaren was in charge of FC Twente and Ten Hag is keen for someone with links to United to join him at the club when he takes the reins this summer.

Robin van Persie, Rene Meulensteen and Michael Appleton are among the other names who have also been considered.

play

1:57

Gab and Juls debate whether Frenkie de Jong could reunite with Erik ten Hag at Man United.

PAPER GOSSIP (by Adam Brown)

Antoine Griezmann is set to stay at Atletico Madrid beyond this season, reveals Sport. It is reported that Diego Simeone is happy with his progress so far, and they will part ways with a fee of around €40m that will be due to Barcelona at the end of next season, before he officially returns to Los Colchoneros on a permanent basis. The 31-year-old forward registered seven goals and five assists in 25 starts in LaLiga and the Champions League this season.

– Napoli and Lazio have added Mauro Icardi to their shortlist, according to Ekrem Konur. It is reported that PSG are willing to listen to offers for the 29-year-old striker who arrived at the Parc des Princes from Internazionale in 2020, but has since failed to establish a regular place in the first team. Icardi has recently been linked with a move back to Italy, and it looks as though his first two options have emerged.

– Liverpool’s announcement regarding the signing of Fabio Carvalho is imminent, reports Football Insider. The Reds agreed a deal with Fulham in January for his signature, but after missing the deadline, they have since been finalising the details over compensation. The 19-year-old attacking midfielder has agreed a five-year contract on Merseyside.

Sergino Dest has no plans to leave Barcelona in the summer, reports Marca. The United States 21-year-old wing-back has recently been linked with Chelsea, but despite those reports, he is keen on continuing his career at the Camp Nou to prove himself to manager Xavi Hernandez. He has made 21 LaLiga appearances this season while picking up three assists in the process.


LEAVE A REPLY