The transfer window may have slammed shut, but that doesn’t mean the rumour mill has shut down! Speculation over summer moves is heating up so check out the latest gossip below, and see all official deals here.
TOP STORY: Coman to reject Man United for Bayern stay
Sky Sports is reporting that Bayern Munich’s Kingsley Coman isn’t yet ready for a move to the Premier League, despite serious interest from Manchester United.
The Red Devils had been prepared to offer him a deal worth £260,000-a-week, but even though Coman believes his next big move will be to England, no talks have taken place between Bayern and United.
On Thursday, Bild reported that world champions Bayern were concerned that United could temp him away with the offer of a salary that is almost double what he gets now.
Coman is about to enter talks over a contract extension and the United speculation can only help his cause.
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (U.S. only)
– ESPN+ viewers guide: Bundesliga, Serie A, MLS, FA Cup and more
14.12 GMT: Zinedine Zidane has admitted to enjoying watching Kylian Mbappe‘s “marvellous” Champions League display this week — but wouldn’t say if he’d prefer to see the France striker or Erling Haaland lining up for Real Madrid next season.
“They’re really good players, like Messi, Cristiano, Neymar,” Zidane said in a news conference ahead of Madrid’s game with Real Valladolid on Saturday. “They’re young and they’re showing they’re players of the present and the future…. I won’t say if I prefer one or the other. I like seeing young players do good things on the pitch.”
“Everyone has talked about it, what he did was marvellous,” the coach said, when pushed by a French journalist on Mbappe. “It doesn’t surprise anyone. I watched the game as a fan and I enjoyed it. But what we have to do tomorrow is the most important thing.”
13.40 GMT: Ale Moreno says Real Madrid need to create a pathway and roll out the red carpet for Sergio Ramos to stop him from leaving when his contract expires at the end of the season.
Ale Moreno says Real Madrid need to create a pathway and roll out the red carpet for Sergio Ramos if he leaves.
13.01 GMT: Atletico Madrid could end up paying Barcelona €11m for Luis Suarez, sources have confirmed to ESPN.
Suarez, 34, joined Atletico last September in a deal reported at the time to be worth just a few million euros in performance-related add-ons. However, La Liga leaders Atletico actually agreed to an initial fee of €5m for the striker, who is the top scorer in the Spanish league this season with 16 goals, and a further €6m in variables.
Atletico have already paid €2m of those variables because Suarez has made 20 appearances and they will have to pay €2m more if they reach the Champions League quarterfinals by beating Chelsea. The final add-on, also worth €2m, is related to performances next season. The Rojiblancos did not have to pay the initial €5m out of their own pocket, though. The money was knocked off a debt Barca have with them relating to the signing of Antoine Griezmann in 2019.
Barca are also topping up Suarez’s salary until the end of the season, when his contract would have expired at Camp Nou. He earned around €20m annually with Barca, but Atletico are paying less, so the Catalan club are making up the difference.
12.20 GMT: Kepa Arrizabalaga says he wants to feel “important again” at Chelsea and has not considered leaving the club.
Arrizabalaga lost his place in the side under Frank Lampard earlier this season, leading Chelsea to sign Edouard Mendy from Rennes. But new boss Thomas Tuchel has restored Arrizabalaga back as the No. 1 keeper, and he is now hoping to rebuild his career at Stamford Bridge.
“I have not thought about leaving,” he said. “When I lost my starting spot, I didn’t think further ahead. I want to play here. I feel the backing of the club and I think I’ve proved that I can play.
“It’s been a difficult year for me but I want to turn this situation around and look ahead to the future. I want to feel important again.
“With Lampard I’ve had no problem because I have not been able to showcase my best play. But our relationship was correct, respectful, although I didn’t play as much as I would have liked.”
11.45 GMT: Manchester City have not opened transfer talks with Lionel Messi and will wait for him to decide his Barcelona future before considering formal negotiations, sources have told ESPN.
City chiefs have been angered by reports the club have already tabled an offer to Messi ahead of a possible free transfer move to the Etihad Stadium in the summer.
11.09 GMT: Paris Saint-Germain coach Mauricio Pochettino believes Kylian Mbappe‘s future will be decided soon. Mbappe, a reported target of Real Madrid, has been in talks with PSG to sign an extension to his contract, which runs until June 2022.
“We have complete confidence that PSG can give Mbappe all the tools to be happy in his sporting career,” Pochettino said. “Not just at individual level but collectively. It’s normal that having a player like Mbappe that there is a lot of speculation and we live calmly with that. I think this matter will be resolved soon. We are working to achieve our aims and one of those aims is to have Mbappe for many years at PSG.”
🔊 ÀUDIO ENTREVISTA amb Mauricio Pochettino
🎙️”El PSG pot donar a Mbappé totes les eines que necessita per ser feliç”https://t.co/hEqhaN6H5S
— Tot costa (@totcosta) February 18, 2021
10.31 GMT: Manchester City and USWNT midfielder Sam Mewis has said it is “too early” to say whether she will stay in England or return to the United States after her contract expires at the end of the season.
Mewis joined City from North Carolina Courage in September alongside national teammate Rose Lavelle. Abby Dahlkemper joined them in September on a three-and-a-half year deal.
“I have a lot of good options,” she told Sky Sports. “Whatever ends up happening is a win-win, I’ve enjoyed my time here a lot so far so we’ll see what happens.”
The 28-year-old has impressed for both club and country this season, helping City to an FA Cup win and securing her first career hat trick with the USWNT.
09.46 GMT: Ryan Shawcross has moved a step closer to Major League Soccer after his contract with Stoke City was cancelled by mutual consent. The 33-year-old spent 14 years with Stoke, and was a pillar of their defence throughout their stay in the Premier League. Now he is set to head to the United States and sign for Inter Miami FC.
09.00 GMT: Are Liverpool and Manchester United set to battle it out for West Ham star Declan Rice? Journalist Ian McGarry revealed on the Transfer Window Podcast that both clubs have “contacted” Rice’s agent — with Chelsea no longer in the race after Frank Lampard left the club.
Chelsea go after Hofmann
Chelsea are interested in trying to sign Borussia Monchengladbach star Jonas Hofmann, Bild reports.
With six goals and 10 assists to his name so far this season, Hofmann has been at the heart of Gladbach’s push for a place in the Champions League.
• Barnwell’s best moves: 100-51 | 50-1
• Summer transfer grades
• Latest completed major transfers
However, while he may be under contract with the club until 2023, it seems as if Blues manager Thomas Tuchel is keen for them to reunite for the first time since their days at Borussia Dortmund.
Torino push for Belotti renewal
Tuttosport is reporting that Torino are attempting to tie striker Andrea Belotti down to a new deal.
It’s no secret that the 27-year-old has been at the core of great interest from a parade of top European clubs in recent years, but up to this point, he’s decided to stay put.
Belotti is now in discussions with the club over the terms of a potential new contract, with Torino likely having to adjust his annual salary to €3.5m plus bonuses.
– Wolves and West Bromwich Albion both want to try and sign Bristol City sensation Louis Britton, Football Insider reports. The teenager’s contract is set to expire this summer, and yet even though Wolves’ position in the table and European pedigree should give them the edge, West Brom are determined to fight this one through until the end.
– Atlanta United have signed defender Ronald Hernandez on loan from Aberdeen for the 2021 season. The 23-year-old Venezuelan will occupy an international roster spot, the MLS club announced Thursday.