ATP Platinum Partner FedEx is playing a crucial role in the fight against COVID-19, leveraging its unique air and road networks and infrastructure to help communities and frontline healthcare workers.
Being at the heart of efforts to keep trade flowing across Europe and around the world, FedEx continues to deliver goods, including personal protection equipment (PPE), clinical trials, medical supplies and medical equipment. Since 1 Feb 2020, FedEx Express has globally transported more than 27.8 kilotons of PPE to help combat the COVID-19 virus, with masks accounting for 47 per cent (or 13 kilotons) of those shipments.
“In these unprecedented times, we have collaborated with governments, charities and NGOs to bring critical supplies where they are most needed,” said Karen Reddington, President FedEx Express Europe and CEO of TNT. “We are keenly aware of the role we play, and we view it as our duty to support our customers and communities safely and effectively.”
FedEx activations in Europe include:
- Poland: In collaboration with IKEA, FedEx team members in Poland delivered 231 beds with mattresses, bedding, pillows and towels. In total, over 2,500 items have been transported to 34 Regional Quarantine Centers across the country;
- France: FedEx Express responded to the call from the French authorities to ship medical equipment and materials to France, including 9 million masks for French SMEs activities.
- The COVID-19 situation has generated an unprecedented demand for air freight transport from Asia to Europe. In April 2020, FedEx increased flights between Asia and Europe by almost 50 per cent with its Charles de Gaulle hub in Paris playing a vital part.
- Spain: FedEx team members worked with the Spanish army to deliver 300,000 face masks to a temporary field hospital in Madrid.
- Italy: FedEx Express delivered breathing equipment from the Netherlands to eight hospitals in Northern Italy.
- FedEx delivered 5 million face masks from China to Belgium to support those in urgent need.
- UK: Across the country, FedEx team members delivered ventilators, testing kits, respiratory parts and PPE gowns from China. They also shipped protective screens to stores and delivered urgent medical supplies to temporary field hospitals.
FedEx continues to support customers in Europe and around the world who are relying on the flow of goods and commerce.